[MEAC ICANN] FW: RightsCon Brussels 2017: Call for Proposals Now Open

Fahd Batayneh fahd.batayneh at icann.org
Fri Sep 9 21:58:15 EEST 2016

This might be of interest to some; mainly civil society folks.

Fahd

Sent: Friday, September 09, 2016 6:57 PM
Subject: FW: RightsCon Brussels 2017: Call for Proposals now open

Hi folks,

RightsCon Brussels (March 29-31, 2017) <https://www.rightscon.org/>  is now having its call for proposals <https://www.rightscon.org/submission/> . For those of you who don't know about RightsCon, it is the world's leading event on the issues at the intersection of internet and human rights. RightsCon Silicon Valley 2016 <https://www.rightscon.org/past-events/>  had 1,100 experts <https://www.rightscon.org/speakers/>  from 84 countries, all participating in more than 250 sessions across three days.

This year's event will likely be bigger and more impactful, as it's being hosted in the heart of European politics, where many globally important policy decisions facing the internet are taking place. The themes of RightsCon Brussels are:

*	Data Protection, Privacy and Digital Security: Topics might include: Privacy Shield, anonymity, surveillance, cybersecurity, MLATs, General Data Protection Regulation, e-Privacy Directive, and encryption.
*	Network Discrimination, Connectivity, and Governance: wearables and the internet of things, global connectivity, net neutrality in the EU and abroad, zero rating, internet governance (WSIS, ICANN, IGF issues), and broadband and internet access.
*	Freedom of Expression: circumvention, the latest in media pluralism and journalism, internet shutdowns, countering violent extremism online, and hate speech.
*	Digital Inclusion and Diversity: gender inclusion and diversity, technology and safety in global movement building, working with frontline communities, promises and pitfalls of civic technology, language divides and steps to inclusion, and improving accessibility online.
*	Human Rights, Trade, and Business: TTIP and TiSA, competition in the digital economy, OTT regulation, transparency and accountability, terms of service, export controls, FinTech, and more.
*	The Demo Room: home to lightning talks, tech demos, and workshops. Topics can include: secure mailing platforms, identifying (in)security bugs, mesh networks, circumvention tools, rapid responses to phishing & malware attacks, and more.
*	Other: Have an idea for a session that doesn’t fall within these themes? No problem — send it our way!

I invite you to consider proposing a session for the conference. While our program <https://www.rightscon.org/cms/assets/uploads/2016/04/Print-Program-RC-2016.pdf>  is extremely diverse, I'd be a happier person if we had more sessions tackling youth involvement in policy debates.

Best,

Nick

PS. Our events are super fun. Forget about the overly formal settings, RightsCon will have plenty of fun programming, from networking events, social parties, and lots of opportunities to meet with other leaders from around the world.

--

Nick Dagostino

Strategic Engagement Manager

Access Now |  <http://accessnow.org/> accessnow.org

 <http://rightscon.org/> RightsCon.org

Phone: +1-929-428-2977

PGP: 0x4DC5EF9C

Fingerprint: 98AD 0343 B261 4A76 9591 3D11 675A 8720 4DC5 EF9C

Register your interest <https://www.rightscon.org/register2017/>  in RightsCon Brussels 2017 (March 29-31) to stay up to date

Subscribe to the  <https://www.accessnow.org/campaign/#sign-up> Access Now Express, our weekly newsletter on digital rights